Thursday, October 14, 2010

Agustina Woodgate (present)

Agustina Woodgate is an artist based out of Miami, Florida. Her work includes a variety of media including photography, installations, sculpture, video and performance. Currently, she is most known for making things out of something most people find off-putting: human hair. The way that Woodgate acquires the hair for her work is quite bizarre. She sets up a mobile salon in different cities and people show up to ask about what is happening. When she tells them that it is for her art, many volunteer and feel fine with her cutting off their hair-- even though she is not even close to being a hair stylist. A selection from her work is pictured below. You may visit her personal website here: www.agustinawoodgate.com

I remember very clearly as a child four generations of hair; my great grandmother, my grandmother, my mother and me, all of us with our real brushes and our real hair. My work has a lot to do not especially with hair, but rather that hair became the material that I needed to communicate the concept of identity. In that respect, the concept rather than the material itself drives my work. Its not that I am a hair artist; it just so happens that when I tried to say something about my life the material that contained the most meaning or honesty, the material which said everything that objects could and more was hair.”
                                     -Agustina Woodgate




This castle is made entirely of blocks of human hair.






No comments:

Post a Comment